baslinux - Re: [BL] Loop BL3 uses a RAMDISK ?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Loop BL3 uses a RAMDISK ?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:06:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

initrd=initfs.gz

initrd means to use a ramdisk?

initrd=initfs.gz means:

initrd - initramdisk? I thought initread.

(1) unzip initfs.gz into a ramdisk
(2) use that ramdisk as the initial root filesystem
(3) execute /linuxrc (if it exists in the init fs)
(4) use real root filesystem (shown by root=)

I may try deleting all but DOS some day
But 600 bytes is not likely to make a really large
difference.

It's more like 90,000 bytes. You're not counting
the binaries in /initrd/bin

I missed that somehow. And I think you said the ramdisk also used up about 10-15K, for a total of over 100K. When you are working in 3MB with only about 230K free that will make a big difference. If I ever try to use BL3 on the 386 again I will install to HD, but there was not much free space - not enough for loop 20MB and also 10MB of linux partition. 60MB drive with lots of Dos internet programs on it already.

I will see if I can free up 10MB to make a linux partition some time by removing a few things and putting them back again later. A minimal loop version would be helpful for such situations (7 instead of 20MB). I never followed how to change the size of the loop but can search for the explanation.

> >> you get to teh point where every byte counts (as on >> my 3MB RAM 386)

Such a computer will work better after an HD install.
That will eliminate all the loop overhead.
That is starting to make sense now.