baslinux - Re: [BL] Loop BL3 uses a RAMDISK ?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Loop BL3 uses a RAMDISK ?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:46:23 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > initrd=initfs.gz
>
> initrd means to use a ramdisk?

initrd=initfs.gz means:
(1) unzip initfs.gz into a ramdisk
(2) use that ramdisk as the initial root filesystem
(3) execute /linuxrc (if it exists in the init fs)
(4) use real root filesystem (shown by root=)

> I may try deleting all but DOS some day
> But 600 bytes is not likely to make a really large
> difference.

It's more like 90,000 bytes. You're not counting
the binaries in /initrd/bin

> you get to teh point where every byte counts (as on
> my 3MB RAM 386)

Such a computer will work better after an HD install.
That will eliminate all the loop overhead.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru