baslinux - Re: [BL] Loop BL3 uses a RAMDISK ?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Loop BL3 uses a RAMDISK ?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:22:32 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > Have a look at boot.bat
> > loadlin zimage root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw
>
> Where does it say to use a ramdisk?

initrd=initfs.gz

> In bl2 root=/dev/ram0
> The ramdisk is mounted on /initrd ?

No. In BL2 the ramdisk is the root filesystem.
In the loop version of BL3, the ramdisk is not
the root filesystem.

> Would it save a tiny bit of memory to delete
> linuxrc and everything esle besides /DOS from
> ramdisk?

Perhaps. But, it's hard to predict without trying
it. The relationship between the ramdisk and the
loopfile is tricky. The loopfile is on the DOS
partition which is mounted on the ramdisk which
is mounted on the loopfile which in on the DOS
partition which is mounted on the ramdisk which
is mounted on the loopfile... Are you dizzy yet?

However AFRAK the only important part of the ramdisk
(once the loopfile is up) is the DOS mountpoint. You
should be able to delete all the binaries, devices,
etc. But I'm had plenty of weird suprises in the past
with this loop-ramdisk thing.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru