baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing bootable BL3 on CDROM

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing bootable BL3 on CDROM
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:58:40 +1300

suchenderhd AT gmx.net wrote:

> how can i install BL3 to an bootable CDROM so i
> need not the two floppies?

First let me preface my comments by saying that I
do not have a CDrom burner, and I do not know how
to burn a CDrom (nor how to make it bootable).
Do you know how do do this?

Assuming you know how to make a bootable CDrom,
you need the BL3 filesystem and kernel. You will
find them in the DOS version of BL3. The kernel
is zimage and the filesytem is fs.img. Put them
on your CDrom and configure your bootloader to
boot zimage and run fs.img as the root partition.

The floppy version of BL3 is not suitable for
this because the filesytem was modified to fit
on two floppies and because the kernel and first
half of the filesystem are not easily accessible.

Note: the maximum ramdisk that the BL3 kernel can
do is 4mb. Larger ramdisks do not work. If your
method of creating bootable CDroms requires a
ramdisk, the BL3 kernel will only be able to use
it if the ramdisk is 4mb (or less). The BL3
filesystem (fs.img) is larger than 4mb. It works
as a loop (which is what the DOS version does);
it works when installed to a HD partition; it
works when split in two and run on two ramdisks
(which is what the floppy version does); but it
does *not* work from a ramdisk.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru