baslinux - Re: [BL] Mount NTFS via NFS

  • From: Robert Steinmetz AIA <rob AT steinmetznet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Mount NTFS via NFS
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:58:12 -0600

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Robert Steinmetz AIA wrote:

I believe the smbfs support is enabled in all standard Slackware kernels.

I don't think so. I've just booted the bare.i bzimage
from Slackware 7.1 and done: cat /proc/filesystems
----------------
ext2
minix
umsdos
msdos
vfat
nodev proc
nodev nfs
iso9660
nodev devpts
---------------
No sign of smbfs.

Then I did: insmod smbfs (it installed OK) Now /proc/filesystems shows: ----------------
ext2
minix
umsdos
msdos
vfat
nodev proc
nodev nfs
iso9660
nodev devpts
nodev smbfs
---------------

I guess I should have checked before writing. The config files in Slackware
7.1 indicate that smbfs is a loadable module.

CONFIG_SMB_FS=m

Note that one of the file systems listed in your running kernel are also
listed as loadable in slack 8;

CONFIG_MINIX_FS=m

It is possible to eleminate support completely, I'm not sure there is any
advantage in doing that. Minix support seems unecessary. There may be other
loadable file systems which might be unecessary and may save some kernel
memory, smbfs woudl I think be very useful.

--

Rob