baslinux - Re: [BL] (no subject)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] (no subject)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:10:06 +0000 (UTC)

It is easier to make such a correction while still in DOS, but
DOS must still be able to allow loadlin to boot Linux, so my
idea was to only "correct" some of the altered vectors. In
fact, I wrote a quick program to change the first 32.
On the basis of tests with a 486, a Pentium, and a Pentium II,
this seems to work flawlessly and to allow booting from a
"normal" DOS environment with XMS ("himem.sys" or equal). I
do not use emm386, so I cannot say if it would work. Tests
were conducted using PTS-DOS and FreeDOS.

In my own trial of FreeDOS I had no trouble using loadlin after booting DOS with himem.sys. Where it causes a problem is in MS DOS 6.22. Would you mind testing on that?

DR-DOS and Win9X DOS himem.sys did not cause loadlin problems.
Win98 smartdrv did cause problems. Does your program remove smartdrv or its effects?