baslinux - Re: Death of a computer? was Re: [BL] More fun with Xvesa and trident card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Death of a computer? was Re: [BL] More fun with Xvesa and trident card
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:16:59 +0000 (UTC)

Not surprisingly, memtest indicated that there was a problem with my 4x64MB SIMMs in this computer. We tested with them in various configurations, switched them around, put in two at a time, and the failure was always at the same location - 64.1 and 96.1 MB. This does not equate with one bad SIMM out of four.

In the first computer we had put them into they registered as 16MB not 64MB. A website said they only work with some Intel boards but I tried them anyway in the DFI where they came out the right size and then got the various error messages about NULL pointers and other crashes.

We then put a pair of these in a Soyo motherboard with Epeq (?) chips, not Intel, and they came out 64MB each and passed the memory test (test 2 was the crucial one). The board and SIMMs were given to us by the same person.

We have one other Soyo motherboard from James which has bad capacitors but this one is old enough that they seem okay.

So the memory was okay but the board was not happy with it. SOmeone else assured me this was a hard drive problem.

Linux now works except for the 'Not a kernel image' problem and if I put on Win9X that will go away too but I HATE WINDOWS! And then Xvesa would not work.