baslinux - Re: [BL] More fun with Xvesa and trident card

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] More fun with Xvesa and trident card
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:40:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

BL3.3 works fine with JUST exec icewm in .xinitrc.
I added

rxvt&
xmodmap /root/xmodmap.84

You forgot the & at the end of the xmodmap line.
Yes, but I put it into the actual .xinitrc where it worked on one computer but not on the other computer.

to the existing
exec icewm

I get to the grey screen with X and the rxvt window
without a prompt.

Because there is no & at the end of the xmodmap line.
Even with the & it does not work. Identical .xinitrc files
from my bl3change.tgz that I pkg'ed.

If I remove the xmodmap line too, it works (icewm).

Yup, that's were the problem is. But you don't have to
delete the xmodmap line, just put an & at the end.

It works CLI with /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa &rxvt -e icewm &rxvt
I can add --screen with the resolution too. Standard ps/2 mouse.

I will do this one more time for proof but in the meantime I have a third reason which implies 'This is not a linux computer'.

1. 'Not an image file' when I boot without Win98X DOS, about 1/3 of the time.
2. This problem with Xvesa and icewm if I add to .xinitrc xmodmap.
3. Now I tried linux unzip on the other computer where it works fine on BL3-32.zip but on this computer it gives bad CRC when run on a file in a DOS partition and crashes BL2 when run on a file in a BL2 partitoin.

So both my recent problems are specific to this hardware (not counting the one specific to the other hardware where the loop file won't boot with Win98 DOS). I am considering letting Win98 have this computer instead.

Here is what causes problems.

/root/.xinitrc

rxvt&
xmodmap /root/xmodmap.84&
exec icewm

This gives me a grey screen with a big X and I cannot reboot.
If I remark out the rxvt& I get a teal screen with a pointer
and nothing else on it. The same thing on the other computer gives me icewm as expected.

With just your setup (exec icewm) it works fine and I could then probably put the xmodmap in an xterm but I just turned off the computer after it crashed again. I am happy with an alias to use the CLI approach. If you like I can do some more experiments.