baslinux - Re: [BL] CD-ROM drive in BL3

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] CD-ROM drive in BL3
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:15:22 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Joel Adria wrote:

> But! When I type mount /dev/hdd it says "device does not exist" or
>
> Please help me. I've kinda new to all this.

You are giving mount the location of the "raw" device. It can't mount
that as a filesystem, which is what you need to do. An fstab entry like
you've mentioned should look something like this:

/dev/hdd /cd iso9660 user,noauto,ro 0 0

This tells the system where the raw device is when you go to mount it.
But you give mount the mount point--/cd--not the raw device location. The
rest of that line specifies the filesystem type, who can mount it, whether
it's automounted or not (at boot), whether it's a read only filesystem and
some numbers referring to fsck checking (I think). Were your system to be
set up like this, you should issue

mount /cd

to mount that drive. Does that make sense?

James