baslinux - Re: [BL] gpm/ps.o

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] gpm/ps.o
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:14:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Ian Scott wrote:

> > > Has anyone else tried installing gpm (console mouse)
> > > under bl3?
<snip> >

> > Xvesa has built-in routines for identifying mice. With
> > gpm you have to identify the mouse yourself and tell gpm.
> > I don't suppose you know whether that particular mouse
> > runs OK under gpm in BL1? That might tell us something.
>
> It runs fine under gpm and BL1, and in other linux flavours I have used
> (debian, suse)

The little bit of fiddling I've done with gpm on a system running Xvesa
(rather than traditional X windows) has been unsuccessful. With X
windows, you often need to specify /dev/gpmdata as the mouse device when
you have gpm installed. Trying to use /dev/gpmdata for the mouse under
Xvesa rendered my ps2 mouse unuseable (cursor would no longer move with
mouse movement). If you're running Xvesa on BL3, maybe try searching
Google under Xvesa, then restrict the search with the term gpm. That may
turn up useful info.

James