baslinux - Re: [BL] TeX in BL2

  • From: nomdo AT dds.nl
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] TeX in BL2
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:38:14

> Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:56:11 +1300
> From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
> To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [BL] TeX in BL2
>
> Nomdo Jansonius wrote:
> >
> > Installed TeX in BL2:
> > installpkg tex_bin.tgz and tetex.tgz from Slack 7.1.
> >
> > About a thousend of error messages appear on the screen,
> > most of them saying fonts not found, or errors while
> > trying to create them.
>
> Unfortunately, I have never used TeX myself so I can't
> offer any personal insight. However, Slackware has a
> a TeTex HOWTO in /docs/Linux-HOWTO. I did a quick
> search through that and found many references to fonts.
> This one may be relevant:
> dvips generates Postscript from a .dvi file. In addition,
> it runs Metafont if necessary to generate the bit mapped
> fonts it needs or uses Postscript fonts for the output
> That looks like it might be relevant. BTW while looking
> through the tetex.tgz package for Metafont, I noticed
> there are a huge number of font files. Are you sure
> they all installed correctly? Did you get any kind of
> error message when you did the installation?

No error messages during installation, lots of fonts installed. Indeed,
dvips generates .pk fonts itself by running mktexpk when used for the
first time. Most of the errors on the screen seem to be related to that
process:

./mktexpk: kpsewhich: command not found
./mktexpk: gsftopk: command not found
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexnam: kpsewhich: command not found
./mktexpk: mf: command not found
grep: cmbx10.log: no such file or directory

> What does the following say:
> -----
> df -i
> -----
> If your IUse% is 100% then your inodes are full. That
> probably means some of the font files were not installed.

Only 5% in use.

Kind regards, Nomdo