baslinux - Re: [BL] Abiword

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Abiword
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:37:14 +0000 (UTC)

When I tried to run abiword in 4-bit color (from an rxvt, so I could see the error messages when it failed to load, rather than from the icewm menu) I was informed that it will not work in 4-bit color depth and to file a bug report. I have written the author asking for 4-bit or 1-bit color support.

Xvesa does not ever display properly on any of my video cards in 8-bit color. The background is dark mustard instead of blue, and any gif or jpeg images come out entirely scrambled.

Do you have any options that end in 15 or 16? Both Xvesa and Abiword (and Links2) ought to work in those. Do you have 800x600x15 (or 16)? Steven's Xsetup menu does not offer 15 or 16-bit color, but if your card supports 15-bit, the 12-bit choice might get you that, otherwise it seems to put Xvesa into 8-bit mode. If you don't have 15-bit, you can manually edit the Xconfig file (whatever he called it) for 16-bit, or you can try typing
xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 800x600x16.

Are you using icewm? I found that swm won't work at more than 4-bit color with one of my newer video cards, but icewm will. You can test to see if Xvesa works without a wm: Xvesa -screen 800x600x16.