baslinux - Re: [BL] customizing BL3

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] customizing BL3
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:24:37

On 1 Oct 04 at 16:35, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

>How have other users customized BL3 other than the add-ons? I think
>Christof has made a few changes to support Czech.
>
>Perhaps people have made changes that other people would like to copy.

1. Well, I was tired to back up configuration files and scripts from
the whole file system in BL1, BL2, and BL3. So I created two
subdirectories of /root:

/root/config contain any file or directory containing
configuration data, eg.

/root/.mc with several files
/root/.links with several files and with hotlist.html
/root.pmailrc and other files from /root
/usr/local/etc/.muttrc
/usr/lib/kbd with subdirectories
/root/.profile and /etc/profile and other files from /etc
/var/eznet/eznet.conf and /etc/resolv.conf

The files and subdirectories in /config are sym-linked to those places
in the file system where programs look for them. But when I want to
back them up I need only copy /root/config. In the /config directory
I can keep even old copies or different versions of configuration
files together, but only one version is linked.

/root/sh contains all scripts I ever wrote. Not all are needed on
every system, though. So I have subdirectories (cd burning scripts,
networking scripts, etc.) only those programs which I really use and
and need to edit from time to time are linked to the /root/sh
directory that has been added to the searching path for
executables.

These configuration data and shell scripts that consume most of
the time I spend with Linux cam be saved on floppy.

2. Software packets I save to CD:

- Slackware packets in the precise Slackware directory structure
Slack35 and Slack71

- executables as add35 and add71 (according to the library they
depend on)

- official BL-add-ons according to the versions into directories
addBL1, addBL2, addBL3

- dircetory src contain software that needs to be compiled to
compiled,

- directory stat contains statically compiled executables

3. I am happy not to have any data to save - because, even after
three years, I prefer to do my 'real work' with DOS.

Regards
Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov

  • Re: [BL] customizing BL3, cce . zizkov, 10/02/2004