baslinux - Re: [BL] Dealing with Excel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Dealing with Excel
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:27:01 +0000 (UTC)

Thank you Christof. Ron's idea of using a program that requires Gnome is too close to actually using Windows for my taste, but it is good to know there are several approaches. I have not dealt with Latin-2 (Czech) fonts in X and hope not to have to. Graphical links2 was the perfect solution for reading Czech html with tables. The file was created by another translator (not a Czech manager) and I did a 'back translation' (put it back into English to make sure they got the sense right). Probably someone at the translation company thought it would be nice to use tables to do this. But of course it makes things harder to read (in narrow columns).

I have only used catdoc for DOS. Christof, have you compiled catdoc and/or the xls convertors (both directions, to and from html) for BL2 or BL3? Or are they available already compiled?

Since catdoc and the xls convertors are CLI, to read the Czech while typing the English I can just load an E. European font. The lower ASCII characters (used to type English) are the same in the two fonts.
This will let me view original and what I am typing at the same time.

The way I did it, I put the Czech on one screen and typed on the other, but it had to be two computers because links2 graphical cannot be used at the same time as a text console, tho I can view two text consoles at the same time (MDA/TTL and VGA). I tried using lynx with the correct font loaded to display the Czech, but it does not do tables. I should have loaded a Czech VGA font and used links non-graphical on the VGA screen and typed my translation on the TTL screen but I was lazy. (This could also be done in a text console with splitvt, which makes it easy to copy between half-screens, or in X with windows.)

Can cvs format be imported into not only the BL spreadsheet (sc?) but also Excel? Or is there a cvs2xls as well?