baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 install-to-hd

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 install-to-hd
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:29:16 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> > What exactly do you mean by does not boot? Do you see
> > the kernel info scroll by?
>
> It gives me a line and a half or so of ....... and then
> 'not an Image file'.

So init never gets started (and the startup scripts are
not actioned).

> I get something about an I/O error.

The most likely cause of your problem is hardware.
Or DrDOS. Or bad housekeeping.

> This used to happen with BL2 as well, but seems to have
> cured itself.

Yeah right.

> But BL3 never boots properly. This is all from DR-DOS or
> MS-DOS.

Which versions of MS-DOS have you tried? Have you used
each version to partition the HD from scratch or are you
simply sys-ing them to partitions created by a different OS?

Your systems always seem to be flakely. I suspect you are
having intermittent hardware issues. Or perhaps you have
created HD instability by partitioning/repartitioning/
formatting/reformatting with different operating systems.

> Hal has one computer with similar problems

Really? I thought his problem related to booting big Slackware
bzimages (not the BasicLinux zimage).

> So why does BL2 boot but not BL3?

Why did BL2 not boot before?

> BL3 won't boot with ro, I tried.

Of course not. I told you BL3 needs rw.

> I tried the same kernle, same loadlin, same boot file

Same boot file? How? BL3 has two different boot files
(both of which are different from the two BL2 boot files).

> Maybe this is not a kernel problem

Maybe not.

> but something else giving the 'not an Image file' message?

What exactly does that line say? The complete line and the
three lines before it.

> What part of bootup does that?

loadlin looks for image files (kernel and initrd).
In the loop version, initrd mounts an image file (fs.img).

Perhaps your HD version of BL3 is mistakenly looking for
initrd or fs.img (because of your fouled install-to-hd)?

> I used the HD BL3 so don't have lilo.

You can install the lilo package from BL1 or the one from
Slackware 4.0