baslinux - Re: [BL] new BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new BL3
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:32:05 +0000 (UTC)

I just downloaded the new version (using bl2 wget -c, to continue interrupted downloads, which took three tries to get the whole thing) and attempted to install it to c:\baslin.

This is the computer where when I boot linux it sometimes won't boot and tells me 'not a kernel image file'. Recently, since we replaced the linux hard drive and cpu fan, BL2 has been booting perfectly every time, but the older BL3 and now the newer one will not ever boot from DR-DOS with loadlin. It used to be neither of them usually booted. Loadlin always works from Win9x DOS, so I rebooted with that on floppy disk in a:.

I had forgotten that since this is a DR-DOS computer, if I boot with an MS-DOS or WinDOS boot disk it cannot find any files that are actually on C:, but insists that the files from the boot disk a: are the c: files. Therefore I could not boot the new BL3 from c:\baslin.

I recall you saying the boot program somehow looks in the first baslin directory starting with c: then d: then e: then f:. I have the older BL3 in d:\baslin and wanted to keep it for reference.

So I copied the .zip file to e:\baslin and I was able to boot from e:\baslin by modifying the boot.bat file to specify the location of the image file in e:\baslin and here I am dialed and telnetted to my sdf shell account.

Am I correct that I had to do this, or could I just have used the regular boot.bat file and had it look in the current directory? Maybe you meant that you could only boot it from X:\baslin where X is c d e or f.

There was no problem in copying over the bl3-30.zip file between partitions on the same hard drive or even from the linux to the DOS drive on the same computer. The copying problems appear to be only when you use a parallel cable or floppy disks to move files between hard drives.
My two drives are on the same controller.

For some reason BL can handle my external 56K USR modem that was flashed from X2 to V90, with extra line in the eznet.conf file
AT&F1 S32=34 to tell it to skip X2 and use just V90. None of my DOS dialers seem to work with that modem. Perhaps I goofed somehow in DOS.

I have not yet tried Xvesa in this BL3, or the icewm or links2 packages.
It got late.