baslinux - Re: [BL] cannot execute any new files installed

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cannot execute any new files installed
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:25:50 +0000 (UTC)

Is your computer clock correct? This July 11 messaged arrived recently.

Is it possible that your executables are actually being copied to the wrong place? Or that you are by some chance booting the wrong version of BL3? What exact line are you using to boot the hard disk version of BL3? Loadlin .......

I have had similar problems to this when I accidentally booted the RAMdisk version of BL2 and thought I was booting to hard disk.

Try cd'ing to the directory where your 'missing' executables are located and are they really there?

I think Steven has the HD version of BL3 designed to NOT install to hard disk because it is already on hard disk in a 15MB loop file. You may still be booting from that, in which case what came with BL3 will work but what you put in your ext2 partition won't be executable from the loop version. Even if you hand-copied all the files, you would need to prefix the name of the new partition to the file locations, for instance /hda2/usr/bin/program rather than /usr/bin/program (location of executables in the loop version), to run them, or at least add the location of the new executables to the path of the loop BL3. (Would this work, Steven? Probably you need to modify your boot.bat file to point it to the new ext2 partition.

I was told to install the FLOPPY DISK version of BL3 to hard drive (have not found the time yet) and then if desired set it up with loadlin instead of lilo. They are two separate downloads, both about 2MB.

I did not find it clear which version should be downloaded from the website to do an install-to-ext2.