baslinux - [BL] internationalization in Links2

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] internationalization in Links2
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:01:04

Hi list,

I created a test utility for Basiclinux:

A selfbooting CD containing
- several kernels 2.0 and 2.2,
- BL distributions 1-3, with add-on packages
- my own customized RAM versions for BL 1-2
- fs.img for BL3 empty and customized for several tasks
- a DOS autoexec.bat file guiding through the jungle of kernels
and image files and booting into any of the BL I want

The high capacity and speed of CD makes it possible to replace
entire systems in a few seconds which is very useful particularly
for BL3.

No finally I come to appreciate what a great Steven did. One thing I
discovered in links2 when I installed it on the fresh default
filesystem of BL3, that it displays not only Czech characters, but
even Russian letters. When I add a Czech keyboard mapping only to
the Linux console I am able to enter Czech letters even to
graphic Links running in an X window. O.K., dead keys do not seem
to work, but this is almost equal to what I achieved in an
ordinary X environment with Firebird and localization and tons
of international fonts and years of experimenting!

I believe that this is partially due to the excellent level of
internation with the links development team (Czech programmers!).
I tried to use Czech keyboard in a graphical xterm window. Czech
keys displayed as space characters (probably because the iso-8859-2
fonts is missing. Fonts take a lot of room in the 15MB file
system. For future fonts add-ons it may be useful to chose fonts
which are similar to the default ones and could be told to overwrite
them. Well this makes probably sense for iso1 and iso2, but not for
cyrillic fonts, I admit.

There is one problem with my CD tool: Whenever I want to store new
add-ons or image files on the CD, I have to burn a completely new CD.
Or can anybody tell me a way how to to burn a self booting CD in
multi- session mode?

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov

  • [BL] internationalization in Links2, cce . zizkov, 09/12/2004