baslinux - Re: [BL] Trouble with HD install of BL2

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Trouble with HD install of BL2
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:04:03 +1200

andy AT andyashbaugh.com wrote:

> go is in my /usr/lib/setup directory. When I run setup, it just gives
> me that "File not found" error and returns me to the command prompt,

That is very strange. What happens when you execute:
-----------------
/usr/lib/setup/go
-----------------

> Could the fact that the slakware packages reside on a mounted Linux
> partition be the problem?

Probably not. The installation script (go) is not getting that far.

> It seemed silly to create a boot partition for DOS when I want this
> strictly as a Linux box,

It is simpler to use DOS at the beginning. Later you can turn the
DOS partition into a swap partition.

> and assumed that install would copy the kernel to the /hd directory

It doesn't. BL2 continues to boot from DOS after the HD install.
You can subsequently install lilo (from Slackware) if you wish.

> I woundn't think that storing the Slakware packages on a DOS file
> structure

That storage is only temporary. As soon as the installation is
complete, those files (and the partition) can be deleted.

> would offer significant advantages over a native linux stucture.

The advantage is simplicity. You boot the ramdisk from the DOS
partition -- the Slackware packages are simply placed on that same
partition (using DOS tools, eg interlnk/intersvr, if available).

There are certainly other ways of doing the installation, but if you
try to do it in an unusual way, you will probably get unusual problems.