baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-21fd.zip download problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-21fd.zip download problem
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:16:28 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Why are floppy drives so fussy?????

Cheap drives. Cheap floppies. Nobody much cares about
floppies any more. Cheap computers these days don't
even come with floppy drives.

Even when the drive and medium are good, alignment
discrepancies can trip you up when you try to read a
floppy made on a different drive. When one drive is
slightly plus and the other slightly minus, they will
both work fine with perfectly aligned drives -- but
they won't work with each other.

At one point, I had a near-perfect floppy drive. The
floppies it wrote worked in just about any drive. But
then I upgraded my system and the new box didn't have
room for that floppy. So I'm using a different floppy
drive which is much less compatible. It was that drive
that caused the image problem on the BL2 floppy.

> Can I do something to make this one work better with
> foreign floppy disks?

Experiment with all your different floppy drives and
find the one that works best with all the other drives.
It is probably the one closest to perfect alignment.

> Now I need to go read about how to use cardmgr (in /etc?)
> instead of using this external modem.

Remove the # from the PCMCIA line in /etc/rc