baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 floppy Xvesa not working

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 floppy Xvesa not working
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:54:01 -0400 (EDT)

Xvesa -listmodes for this video tells me it is a
Chips and Technologies 65520/530 VBE version 1.2
(VESA 1.2) that does up to 640x480x4 (4-bit, 16 colors)

In DOS, whatvga2 when I try to run it informs me that
emm386.exe detected an error caused by a device driver or program
and I should reboot, which I did.

Syschk says it is ET3000 with 256 colors (8-bit)

Xvesa does not do 8-bit color. It does 15-bit color (and I think maybe
also 4 bit or else 2-bit - anyone remember?). This card does not appear
to do 4-bit color, so perhaps there are no modes which it does and Xvesa
accepts. I have not tried using Cshow with the card in mono or 16-color,
but I tried Xvesa -mode 640x480x4 and it went blank and rebooted partway,
same as when I typed startx.

Compushow for DOS identifies this as VESA and tests it out at 640x400 and
640x480 with 256 colors, with no other modes offered.

Since Syschk and Compushow agree with each other (256 colors) but disagree
with Xvesa, the latter may be incorrectly identifying the chip and the
possible modes.

I don't think xvg16.tgz would work here either. Maybe xsvga?
Anyone else have any ideas? I have not tried svgalib yet.

-------

Another problem is that when I try to write to the DOS floppy disk from
BL3 it messes up the disk to the point where the file disk2.tgz gives the
wrong size reading, and then I try to delete it and I cannot, and in DOS I
get 'sector not found'. I reformatted and copied disk2.tgz back from hd
to floppy disk and I will keep resolv.conf and eznet.conf on hard disk
instead of floppy disk. I cannot change the controller or floppy drive so
will learn to live with them. I have write protected the two floppies.

It seems to be tomorrow already. My, this is addictive.