baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 floppy Xvesa not working

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 floppy Xvesa not working
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:20:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > But in Xsetup pressing Enter still does not start X.
> > Did I misunderstand the instructions?
>
> Xsetup was not designed to be executed directly. It is
> normally called by startx (which starts X when your press
> ENTER).
Startx does work. The instructions in Xsetup were not clear to me.

> > Is 12MB of it already in use by BL3 floppy?
>
> The floppy version of BL3 creates two ramdisks (one for X
> and one for everything else). The rest of the 12mb is used
> as working memory.

Can I modify this somehow so as to use the 4MB created for X to some other
purpose on the computer where I cannot get Xvesa to work?

> > Could I load a large program by splitting it into 2 or
> > more 1.44MB files?
>
> Or bring the program in via network. For a large program
> you would need to create (and mount) another ramdisk. Or,
> if you have access to the HD, you could run it from there.

Network meaning any sort of connection including plip, nullmodem, or even
phone cord? One computer does not have a usable hard drive and since it
is laptop I probably would not want to have to use it connected to another
computer (where I could run linux instead) so I will attempt to load from
floppy disk. What is the proper method to run a 2MB executable file,
split onto two floppy disks - load and reassemble in RAMDISK (I think you
do this to load BL2 floppy)? Is the maximum size file I can run in BL3
RAMDISK 4MB?

Could I just delete all the files in /usr/X11R6 and load the file I want
to run (up to 4MB) in /usr/X11R6/bin instead, since it is already on the
path?

I suppose the file could be loaded from another computer and then the
other computer turned off.

My partner would eventually like to learn how to do data acquisition with
linux, maybe via the parallel port, to control a whole-house fan depending
on the inside and outside temperatures, and leave it running all the time,
consuming little power, which means not use the hard drive. He has a few
386 boards that will take 4x4M RAM, or this laptop with 24MB RAM. Would
either or all work? How do we measure power consumption for them?

I found a 'comedi' website for kernel modules to use data acquisition
cards, and another site explaining how to use parallel ports instead (put
one into each free ISA slot). You send out a signal via the port to a
relay that then turns on the equipment when it gets the correct signal. A
simple program would compare two temperatures and put out the signal.

Sindi