baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 floppy Xvesa not working

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 floppy Xvesa not working
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:52:18 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> > The floppy version of BL3 creates two ramdisks (one for X
> > and one for everything else).
>
> Can I modify this somehow so as to use the 4MB created for X

IIRC the ramdisk used for X is 2.5mb. df will tell you.

> to some other purpose on the computer where I cannot get
> Xvesa to work?

Sure. Simply delete everything in the /usr/X11R6 directory:
-------------
cd /usr/X11R6
rm -r *
-------------
Be very careful with that recursive rm. A tiny error could
delete the entire filesystem.

> One computer does not have a usable hard drive

Does it have a PCMCIA slot? If so, you might be able to use
a CF card for it. 8mb CF is dirt cheap these days. I've also
seen 5mb PCMCIA memory cards selling for a couple of dollars.

> What is the proper method to run a 2MB executable file,
> split onto two floppy disks - load and reassemble in RAMDISK

This will probably work:
(1) copy file1 from floppy to ramdisk
(2) mount second floppy at /fd
(3) cat /fd/file2 >> file1 (file2 taken direct from floppy)

> Is the maximum size file I can run in BL3 RAMDISK 4MB?

Yes, the largest ramdisk available with the BL3 kernel is 4mb.

> Could I just delete all the files in /usr/X11R6 and load
> the file I want to run (up to 4MB) in /usr/X11R6/bin instead,

Yes, except I think the current ramdisk at /usr/X11R6 is
smaller than 4mb.

> leave it running all the time, consuming little power,
> which means not use the hard drive. He has a few 386
> boards that will take 4x4M RAM, or this laptop with 24MB RAM.
> Would either or all work?

The laptop would use the least power.