baslinux - [BL] mounting BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] mounting BL3
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 07:35:57 +0000

nyair24 wrote:

> I want to be able to install it to the hard
> disk of my old PC (Compaq Prosignia 300 Server).
> The server has a DOS partition and is currently
> formatted with a FAT32 file system. I would like
> to get rid of this
> If anybody could give me a small walk-through on
> how to do this, I'd be very appreciative.

There are two ways to install BL3 to HD. One is to
use the DOS version; the other is to use the floppy
version. Since you already have the floppy version,
I'll focus on that one; but keep in mind that there
is a different option available (which uses a small
DOS partition to boot the ext2 partition).

First step: remove your old FAT32 partition
It is best to do this from DOS (although it can be
done from Linux if absolutely necessary). Run fdisk
(from DOS or Windows) and free up the entire HD.

Second step: boot BL3 from floppies
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Use the Linux version of fdisk to partition the drive.
Usually I recommend a small swap partition (around
twice the size of your RAM) and one big Linux native
partition. It is simpler if you make both partitions
primary (not extended).

To run fdisk on your main HD (IDE):
--------------
fdisk /dev/hda
--------------
Once you have created your Linux native partition,
you need to put an ext2 filesystem on it:
----------------
mke2fs /dev/hda2
----------------
The above assumes you put the Linux native partition
on /dev/hda2 (the second primary partition). If you
put it somewhere else, change the number in the mke2fs
command.

Third step: start the installation routine
Mount your Linux native partition:
-------------------
mount /dev/hda2 /hd
Again that assumes you put your Linux native partition
at /dev/hda2.

Then execute the installation script and follow the
instructions therein:
install-to-hd

Let us know if you have any problems.