baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 cannot read pdf 1.5

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 cannot read pdf 1.5
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

xpdf works with Slackware 7.1 xbin.tgz libraries and glibc2.2.5 from
SW8.1.
For the non-X conversion programs you do not need xbin or any X packages.
I extracted them and the man pages for them and the general explanations
of XPDF from the 4.5 MB binary package at www.foolabs.com/xpdf and
compressed the six pdf conversion programs (to text or images) to 30%
using upx (they run just as fast but take up less space) and made a
slackware package (requires glibc2.2.5) and posted it at
www.iamjlamb.com/~keesan, linked on my basiclinux page, as pdf-nonX.tgz.
I also left pdf.tgz, the older version which uses glibc2.1.3 and does not
do pdf 1.5.

The same site has a link to the bmv from Debian which I repackaged, which
can be used to view the ps file that you get as output from pdftops,
obviating the need for xpdf, which is slower than ghostscript or bmv.