baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 cannot read pdf 1.5

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 cannot read pdf 1.5
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:26:47 -0400 (EDT)

I download xpdf precompiled for linux and unpacked it at / (it made its
own directory) and followed the INSTALL directions after gzipping the man
files.

xpdf 3.00 is about 6.3MB, the 2000 (SW71) version being aboug 400K
The new pddtotext and other console programs are around 1MB (pdftoppm,
which replaces a few other things is about 2m). The old ones are about
250K.

I have not been able to test xpdf yet because, tho it does not require
libxtdc++ which the old version does, it has a lot of new dependences:
libXmu, libXt, libXp (which was not needed for Xvesa, icewm, or opera),
libXext. Both versions need libXpm, libSM, libICE, libX11, libm libc
ldlinux.

I tested pdftops and it produces a file just slightly smaller than the old
version did. I have also pdf2ps (don't know from where) which produces a
ps file twice the size of the others.

I think the enormous increase in size has something to do with including
Truetype1 fonts but I did not follow this. It is statically compiled with
some other large libraries. Perhaps there is a way to compile it smaller.
I would be perfectly happy if it displayed all files with just courier.
99% of what I have to look at in pdf has no text in it anyway and should
have been sent as a plain image file.

I can post the CHANGES if anyone is interested.