baslinux - Linux F-prot was Re: [BL] BL2 sees same RAM as DOS

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Linux F-prot was Re: [BL] BL2 sees same RAM as DOS
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:26:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Sindi,
>
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:34:45 -0400 (EDT)
> Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:
>
> > I just looked this up and mem= was specifically intended for the above
> > use
> > (DOS recognizes only 64MB, linux uses more). I will check if my linux
> > computer with 82MB is recognizing it all and add mem=82M if not.
> >
> > You are now all set for fast compiling on that computer.
>
> So it seems. But it is a Duron 600 MHz anyway, so I don't know
> how much faster it will seem to run.
>
> On another topic:
> There is a new Linux version of F-Prot available. (Anti-Virus).
> It is available as a .tar.gz package as well as RedHat and Debian.
> This was much easier to install than the previous one. It is a statically
> compiled executable, and runs very well in BL2.
>
> Regards,
> Ron

Many thanks. We have been using the DOS version, which checks for both
DOS and Windows viruses. Are there also linux viruses?
Does the linux version run better or faster than the DOS version and do
they share the actual virus lists?

(I had better not let my partner know about this quite yet as he is
capable of spending a couple of days playing with it and writing scripts
to run it in various modes).