baslinux - Re: [BL] Debian granular libraries article: ATTN Steven!

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Debian granular libraries article: ATTN Steven!
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:33:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> This would be very useful for a small distribution
> with a fixed set of binaries. But is not so good
> for add-ons. By using standard libraries, you know
> exactly where you are. With customized libraries you
> can't be sure whether a particular add-on will find
> the routines it needs.

Ok. I wasn't totally sure about the relevance of the granular libraries
for BL development. I hope you took a look at the whole article though:
it was generally about a floppy distribution this guy had assembled and
his expereinces with trying to keep it as small as possible. For example,
he noted that hard links actualy take up less disk space than soft links
(hard links don't use an inode, as I recall). Thought there might be
something else there of interest as well, this fellow's aim being similar
in many respects to the aims of BL.

James