baslinux - Re: [BL] X with choice of windows managers

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X with choice of windows managers
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 22:06:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Is there some way to have two .xinitrc's and choose between
> > them,
>
> Have you considered having two different usernames? Each
> would have with a different ~/.xinitrc. You could even
> configure one (or both) to automatically startx as soon as
> you enter the username (i.e. null password and startx in
> ~/.profile).

That is clever. I think I am supposed to be going online (running opera)
as user instead of root anyway. And BL2 comes with one user called
'user', I think. So I just copy over .xinitrc to /user from /root and
change from ratpoison to icewm? (I am back on my DOS computer now, can't
check). I suppose I could also copy over .kermrc and .lynxrc.

I am not using startx, which I read is just a script to run xinit. I have
xinit and .xinitrc and made aliases using xinit, which I can also continue
using by copying .profile to /user from /root. x1024 runs Xvesa at that
resolution using the wm specified in .xinitrc.

> > Is there some way to load opera without first making an rxvt?
>
> There should be. X applications are executed directly
> without using an xterm (rxvt). It is only CLI applications
> that are executed via an xterm.
>
> > I experimented and nothing else works for me.
>
> Perhaps you are not executing the Opera executable?
> Perhaps you are executing some kind of CLI loader for Opera?

I will take a look. Opera is set up oddly. Anyway, you have suggested a
good solution to my problem. Operate won't run in 4 colors and Xvesa
won't display correct in 8 colors so I use 15-bit color (next higher
choice).

xinit -- Xvesa -screen 1024x768x15 &rxvt -e opera

This works, and with the correct .xinitrc will also load icewm and do
xmodmap for me.

Without the &rxvt would I just type opera or, -e opera, or exec opera
after the Xvesa? I tried everything I could think of.
&opera? I am obviously not clear on what & and -e and exec do.

Could I do Xvesa -screen (choose resolution here) &icewm &opera ?

THANKS
Sindi