baslinux - [BL] X with choice of windows managers

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] X with choice of windows managers
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:17:17 -0400 (EDT)

I have .xinitrc set up with ratpoison (makes all my rxvt programs
full-screen and mouse-free) but would like to be able to run Opera with
icewm (it works better) instead.

My roundabout solution is to have aliases. One is for loading X with
ratpoison using xinit:
xinit -- /var/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 1024x768x15 &rxvt -e ratpoison
(is there a better way to get to this point?)

To use opera, I have another alias that just loads Xvesa and rxvt:
Xvesa -screen 1024x768x15 &rxvt

I could add -e opera to this, but first I want to run xmodmap (which is in
.xinitrc but so is ratpoison). Can I add it to the above line somehow?
I have been going as far as the rxvt, typing in the alias for xmodmap
followed by the location of my xmodmap.84 file (which makes the keypad
arrows and the del and backspace work properly), and then after that
typing in opera. This lets me use my 84-key keyboard with opera and
icewm.

I read man xinit which was not helpful (or if it was I could not
understand enough of it).

Opera is useless for my bank's online banking anyway. Links2 can display
a lot more of the page but does not handle the javascript there. I see
why people give up and use something larger. I use the phone instead.

I could always set .xinitrc up with icewm, and when I want to use
ratpoison load xmodmap.84 from the rxvt there, but this just displaces
the problem. Is there some way to have two .xinitrc's and choose between
them, or to run xmodmap from the command line as part of the command that
loads Xvesa and rxvt?

Is there some way to load opera without first making an rxvt? I
experimented and nothing else works for me.

Any other ideas on how to have a choice between:
1. Opera run under icewm after first loading an xmodmap, without having to
type in separate commands
2. X otherwise run under ratpoison (for console programs and xv and maybe
some day Ghostview)

??

Thanks, Sindi