baslinux - Re: [BL] cd install

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cd install
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:35:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

then this may work as a solution for creating the bootable
CD for use on machines without an existing HD.

The current DOS version of BL3 will never work on systems
without HD. The script in initfs specifically looks for
fs.img on the HD (/dev/hdxx).

I was just seeing what options I could offer. How difficult would it be for someone to modify initfs so that it looked onto the CD drive as opposed to the hard drive for fs.img file? If it's not too hard, then we may have a possibility.

The solution is to recompile the BL3 kernel for a 15mb ramdisk
(instead of the current 4mb). Then it will be able to boot
fs.img directly to a ramdisk (without using initfs).

That is another possibility. Which would be easier. Recompile the kernel for the larger ramdisk, or to modify the initfs script so that it pulls fs.img off the CD?

Since I'm having no problems on my BL2, I don't need this solution, but someone had been asking about how to make it work with CD versus HD for BL3, so I was just offering my thoughts on the subject. Not to mention, it does let me learn a little bit "second hand" so to speak on how BL systems boot up. (as opposed to reading the From bootup to bash prompt HOWTO) :)

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org