baslinux - Re: [BL] cd install

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cd install
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 07:59:08 +1200

Matrix Mole wrote:

> So, let me see if I have this right. We could have
> the CD create a ram disk as C:,

OK

> then create the directory c:\baslin and load the fs.img
> file into the baslin directory on the ramdisk,

OK

> then let initfs load fs.img as the loop device.

Before initfs can do anything, the kernel must boot
and unzip initfs.gz into a (Linux) ramdisk. At that
point your DOS ramdisk (C:) disappears.

> At what point in the process does will the ram drive
> be lost?

When the Linux kernel boots (using initfs as the root
filesystem).

> If its after the loop device is loaded,

The loop device (fs.img) is created by a script running
in initfs. At that point your DOS ramdisk is long dead.

> then this may work as a solution for creating the bootable
> CD for use on machines without an existing HD.

The current DOS version of BL3 will never work on systems
without HD. The script in initfs specifically looks for
fs.img on the HD (/dev/hdxx).

The solution is to recompile the BL3 kernel for a 15mb ramdisk
(instead of the current 4mb). Then it will be able to boot
fs.img directly to a ramdisk (without using initfs).