baslinux - Re: [BL] cd install

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] cd install
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 05:56:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Matrix Mole wrote:

Would it be possible to create say a ramdisk labeled C:
that emulated an IDE device, and actually copy the fs.img
file into that

You could certainly create a DOS ramdisk and copy fs.img
to it, but as soon as you booted Linux the ramdisk would
disappear. AFAIK there is no way for Linux to inherit
an existing ramdisk from DOS.

So, let me see if I have this right. We could have the CD create a ram disk as C:, then create the directory c:\baslin and load the fs.img file into the baslin directory on the ramdisk, then let initfs load fs.img as the loop device. At what point in the process does will the ram drive be lost? If its after the loop device is loaded, then this may work as a solution for creating the bootable CD for use on machines without an existing HD. If the ram drive is lost prior to the loop device being loaded obviously, then this won't work.

If it will work the way I've suggested, then the ram drive will be lost, and all the memory that was used to create the ram drive will be freed up for use in linux. Of course, this won't be much of an option for low end systems like what BL3 was designed for, as they won't have the RAM available for creating the 100+MB ramdisk.

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org