baslinux - Re: [BL] hard drive/fsck problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hard drive/fsck problem
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:03:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> BL3 has man. You simply execute "man e2fsck" in BL3 to get help.

I was looking in BL2. Mea culpa.

> > How would I know if I ran out of inodes?
>
> df -i

Inodes 256,000
Used 14,899
Free 241,101
IUse% - 6%

So I have not run out of either space (I had 1.5G free) or inodes.

Maybe something is wrong with either the hard drive or the controller.
On this computer I would suspect the controller. I also had an error
message while deleting the large tar file for kernel-source. One of the
other three computers of this model would not work with anything faster
than a 4X CD-ROM drive. Maybe the drive is too fast for the controller?
It is 2G, I think, Seagate. Is this another sort of problem fixable with
hdparm? It is not giving me the same error messages as the one with the
reset problem (Compaq) which I fixed with hdparm. We are not using BL3 on
that Compaq (no hdparm, I think you said).

Does one use the same kernel source code for compiling kernels for other
hardware such as alpha and sparc and arm? What else are kernel headers
used for besides compiling kernels or kernel modules?