baslinux - Re: [BL] hard drive/fsck problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hard drive/fsck problem
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:01:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > BL3 does not have a lot of help on e2fsck
>
> man e2fsck
I found a man pag online and ran e2fsck okay.

> > I have three computers of the same model with the same
> > problem in linux.
>
> Probably needs a custom kernel. There were a few old models
> that were not 100% compatible. They needed a special parameter
> for the kernel compile.
They boot linux half the time with DR-DOS and all the time with Win98 or
Win95 DOS. I have a Win98 boot disk to use with them.

> > > While trying to get the linux source code for 2.2.16 into
> > > /usr/src/ on my second computer
>
> Are you sure you left enough room for it? When you install the
> sourcecode it swells a lot in size. Or perhaps you ran out of
> inodes?

I have a 2G hard drive and it had only 400MB on it to start with.
How would I know if I ran out of inodes?

> > Only half the source files got installed, even though I saw
> > the others go by on the list.
>
> Sounds like too little space or too few inodes.

> > > THis computer is the one that used to not boot linux half
> > > the time (unless I booted from Win98 DOS or MS-DOS 6) but
> > > it now boots linux without any complaints until the fsck/inodes
> > > thing.
>
> Your erratic problems sound like hardware issues. If I had as
> many computers as you do, I would ditch that one.

These three are 200-233MHz and I prefer that to 166 or 133Mhz. They are
Pentium I with THREE ISA slots and the PII's have only two ISA slots.
But if they continue to cause problems I may switch. I am using two of
them, one of which also did not boot DOS once on the first try but has
been fine since then. The third sometimes won't work with PCI cards.

This computer is working better than my 'known good' Gateway PII, which
may need a replacement 360 drive, and is not recognizing the CD-ROM drive,
and won't run Xvesa with himem.sys of any operating system that I tried.
I don't expect perfection, just something that allows a workaround. Our
fastest computer will only mount the CD-ROM on hdc or hdd if you first
attempt to mount it on hdb.

I hope you or someone else can explain to me how to compile a kernel
module.