baslinux - Re: [BL] hard drive/fsck problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hard drive/fsck problem
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:09:35 -0400 (EDT)

I read about fsck and followed the instructions to run e2fsck on an
unmounted file system (using BL3 to check the BL2 partition), both with
and without -a (automatically fix?) option. BL2 ramdisk did not have
fsck/e2fsck so I could not use that. The warning message when I tried to
boot BL2 hard drive said to run e2fsck without the -a option. It also
said to reboot immediately, which implies that I am not supposed to use
BL2 to check itself.

Both times it checked if /dev/hdb3 was mounted (it was not) and then told
me 'clean, 11/226440 files, 29096/905184 blocks'.
I thought this meant it had fixed the inode problem but it had not.
BL3 does not have a lot of help on e2fsck (part of busybox?).
Switch: -l bad_blocks-file - would this help?
The problem is 'wrong free inode count' and something about illegal
blocks.

This computer, again, won't boot linux when I first boot into DR-DOS so I
boot DOS from a Win98 boot disk. (The other computer at this location
won't run Xvesa if I boot from Win98 unless I hit F5 to bypass system
files, and booting from DR-DOS did not help.) Probably irrelevant to the
inode problem. I have three computers of the same model with the same
problem in linux.