baslinux - [BL] Ethernet cables

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Ethernet cables
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:04:58 -0400 (EDT)

The online prices for ethernet cables start at about $3, I think. I called
our local radio electronics store to ask about plug ends (as we have one
long cable that someone cut in half, and an RJ45 tool borrowed from a
friend), and they asked how many. If I bought at least 100 it is 50 cents
each, otherwise 58 cents. (Perhaps I can dissuade my partner from trying
to remove a plug end from an existing hub-type cable to try to reuse it?).
But why not just buy a 5-foot cable at $2.25 instead of $1.16 for two
ends, they asked.

Radio Shack probably sells everything in plastic packages for much more.

I found that buying locally can often be cheaper than mail order, also for
the case of thermostats (even though they had to special order ours) if
you go to a specialty store.

In the meantime my partner found his collection of phone-jack type wall
plates and one had two RJ-45 plugs with cut wires in back which he twisted
together (at just the right twist angle) to make an adaptor into which we
plugged two of the many hub-type cables that had been given to us, to make
our own crossover cable from that.