baslinux - Re: [BL] updates - a trap for young players (and old ones)

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] updates - a trap for young players (and old ones)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:48:46 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 04:38:05 +0000 (UTC)
Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > First thing I noticed was that Links (graphic) was no longer able to go
> > anywhere,
> > including on my own machine. Every time I tried to go to a URL, or look
> > at my file
> > system, I got chucked out with a segmentation fault. And this is my
> > favourite browser !
> > So, maybe, I thought, there is a misslinked library ?
>
> Did you try doing ldd for links to see what it was saying it was missing?

Yes, but it wasn't much help. Links (graphic) is a statically compiled
beast from JP.

> I have never used ldconfig (at least, not manually, don't know about
> programs that do it during install scripts). I know it's supposed to
> create the needed sym links to libraries on systems, but never tried it
> myself manually. Everyone I've ever heard of using it though has had the
> mixed library problems (or perhaps the problems already existed and
> lconfig only made them more obvious).

Well this certainly became obvious. :(

> > Fortunately, because of my previous stuff-up, I had taken the
> > precaution of copying
> > the complete /lib directory (from before the SW9.1 additions) to a backup
> > directory.
> > So with BL3 (thank you, thaank you !) I was able to empty the BL21 /lib
> > and reload the
> > backup, and I was back on the air with BL21 again. And now Links
> > -graphic works again.
>
> Always back-up before making critical changes... yep, rule 0 when mucking
> around with computer software.
>
> > Does anyone have a clue as to what might be missing for Links graphic ?
> > The error
> > message is:
> >
> > svgalib: Signal 11: Segmentation fault received
> >
> > Is it the case, as with the SW8.1 libraries to get Opera/Phoenix to
> > run, that one
> > would need to also install another library(ies) to support the first ?
>
> This is very possible, try ldd on links (you'll have to execute this on
> the actual program I think as opposed to doing it on the symlinks to it).
> See if it tells you anything else. It might be an issue of needing some
> other library not currently installed.

As I said, it didn't help.

> > Looking at the install routine for the SW9.1 glibc-solibs-xxxx.tgz it
> > specifically
> > does NOT run ldconfig - it says so in the comments. Does this also mean
> > that if
> > ldconfig is run - for any reason at all - in the future, that it will
> > always scramble
> > my libraries ?
>
> I would hope not. But, as I mentioned above, I've never run ldconfig
> manually, and mayhaps when it's run inside the install scripts, they use
> command line switches and such to prevent any type of foul ups.

I would hope so, otherwise there is very little point in trying to
upgrade the libraries.

> Easy enough to get back to it working at least since you have the backup
> to restore from.

Which I have done. But if it comes to a choice between Links graphical
working
or xine working, Links wins ! I use it all the time.

> Also, was links graphic working prior to the glibcso upgrade to SW91?

Oh, yes !

> If
> so, it might very well be something that was changed with the new version
> of glibcso instead of a problem with links graphical (there are very
> minute tiems when the libs may not be 100% backwards compatible, I've just
> never experienced it myself).

That is what I fear may be the case. :(

Regards,
Ron