baslinux - Re: [BL] updates - a trap for young players (and old ones)

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] updates - a trap for young players (and old ones)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 04:38:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

I installed glibc.so 2.3.2 and the program newsplex 4.2 works perfectly
now.

Me too. :)

I finally worked up the courage to try again (after my previous disaster)
and nothing seems to be broken.

And of course, I spoke too soon. :(

Always happens to us techie types, the speaking too soon that is.

First thing I noticed was that Links (graphic) was no longer able to go
anywhere,
including on my own machine. Every time I tried to go to a URL, or look at my
file
system, I got chucked out with a segmentation fault. And this is my
favourite browser !
So, maybe, I thought, there is a misslinked library ?

Did you try doing ldd for links to see what it was saying it was missing?

So I ran ldconfig ...... BIG MISTAKE ! Completely scrambled my
libraries and
nothing worked, not HALT, not even the three fingered salute !
Had to turn the machine off at the case switch.

I have never used ldconfig (at least, not manually, don't know about programs that do it during install scripts). I know it's supposed to create the needed sym links to libraries on systems, but never tried it myself manually. Everyone I've ever heard of using it though has had the mixed library problems (or perhaps the problems already existed and lconfig only made them more obvious).

I've had the unluck of having to shut my system down with case switch when I had a HD go bad on me and start spewing errors.

Fortunately, because of my previous stuff-up, I had taken the precaution of
copying
the complete /lib directory (from before the SW9.1 additions) to a backup
directory.
So with BL3 (thank you, thaank you !) I was able to empty the BL21 /lib and
reload the
backup, and I was back on the air with BL21 again. And now Links -graphic
works again.

Always back-up before making critical changes... yep, rule 0 when mucking around with computer software.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be missing for Links graphic ?
The error
message is:

svgalib: Signal 11: Segmentation fault received

Is it the case, as with the SW8.1 libraries to get Opera/Phoenix to run,
that one
would need to also install another library(ies) to support the first ?

This is very possible, try ldd on links (you'll have to execute this on the actual program I think as opposed to doing it on the symlinks to it). See if it tells you anything else. It might be an issue of needing some other library not currently installed.

Looking at the install routine for the SW9.1 glibc-solibs-xxxx.tgz it
specifically
does NOT run ldconfig - it says so in the comments. Does this also mean
that if
ldconfig is run - for any reason at all - in the future, that it will always
scramble
my libraries ?

I would hope not. But, as I mentioned above, I've never run ldconfig manually, and mayhaps when it's run inside the install scripts, they use command line switches and such to prevent any type of foul ups.

Bugger ! I had xine running just fine with the SW9.1 glibc, too !

Easy enough to get back to it working at least since you have the backup to restore from. Then, after re-installing glibcso, see what else is needed for links graphical.

Also, was links graphic working prior to the glibcso upgrade to SW91? If so, it might very well be something that was changed with the new version of glibcso instead of a problem with links graphical (there are very minute tiems when the libs may not be 100% backwards compatible, I've just never experienced it myself).

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org