baslinux - Re: [BL] updates - a trap for young players (and old ones)

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] updates - a trap for young players (and old ones)
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:59:56 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:42:08 +1000
Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:59:31 +0000 (UTC)
> Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>
> > Just a short update on my system in case anyones interested :)
> >
> > I installed glibc.so 2.3.2 and the program newsplex 4.2 works perfectly
> > now.
>
> Me too. :)
>
> I finally worked up the courage to try again (after my previous disaster)
> and nothing seems to be broken.

And of course, I spoke too soon. :(

First thing I noticed was that Links (graphic) was no longer able to go
anywhere,
including on my own machine. Every time I tried to go to a URL, or look at my
file
system, I got chucked out with a segmentation fault. And this is my
favourite browser !
So, maybe, I thought, there is a misslinked library ?

So I ran ldconfig ...... BIG MISTAKE ! Completely scrambled my
libraries and
nothing worked, not HALT, not even the three fingered salute !
Had to turn the machine off at the case switch.

Fortunately, because of my previous stuff-up, I had taken the precaution
of copying
the complete /lib directory (from before the SW9.1 additions) to a backup
directory.
So with BL3 (thank you, thaank you !) I was able to empty the BL21 /lib and
reload the
backup, and I was back on the air with BL21 again. And now Links -graphic
works again.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be missing for Links graphic ?
The error
message is:

svgalib: Signal 11: Segmentation fault received

Is it the case, as with the SW8.1 libraries to get Opera/Phoenix to run,
that one
would need to also install another library(ies) to support the first ?

Looking at the install routine for the SW9.1 glibc-solibs-xxxx.tgz it
specifically
does NOT run ldconfig - it says so in the comments. Does this also mean
that if
ldconfig is run - for any reason at all - in the future, that it will always
scramble
my libraries ?

Bugger ! I had xine running just fine with the SW9.1 glibc, too !

Regards,
Ron ..... learning the hard way ..... still !

--
Ron Clarke
AUSREG Consultancy http://www.valylink.net.au/~ausreg/index.html