baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 computer to BL2 computer by ftp

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 computer to BL2 computer by ftp
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 09:41:01 +1200

Matrix Mole wrote:

> what about using some form of NFS? In my Bl/Win/Mac network
> at home I'm using samba and netatalk so that the non-linux
> machines can see linux directories as drives/folders on the
> respective machines. I've heard that something similar can
> be done in a linux to linux environment.

BasicLinux users have been doing NFS right back to BL1. It
has been discussed here several times. NFS capability is built
into the BL1 and BL2 kernels. I removed it from the BL3 kernel
to make it smaller. If you want to use it with BL3, you need to
replace the BL3 zimage with the bare.i bzimage from Slackware 7.1

> One would think that MC would then see the mounted directory
> from jimmy as just another part of the file system of lois.

Yes it does. Any mounted filesystem (even a floppy) can be
seen/manipulated by mc.

> Never tested mounting one linux to another in this fashion
> (only got one linux box setup right now), so I can't say how
> well it'd work. It sure sounds feasable in theory at least.

It works fine. For a year I ran an NFS server on a headless
BL1 box to serve CDroms to the entire network. It ran in a
ramdisk so I could turn it off and on at will.