baslinux - [BL] Samba BL <-> Win98se with null password

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasLinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [BL] Samba BL <-> Win98se with null password
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 08:01:49 +0000 (UTC)

Ok, this is just an informative message. I've gotten samba working
properly so that I can access the filesystem on my BL system from my
Win98se system. I am using a personally created user accoun. This was done
mainly because of security issues with always being root (some
daemons/server programs won't allow login remotely as root). I have no
password setup on my win98 machine (null password) and have synchronized
that with the user account on the BL machine. So, when I log onto my Win98
machine, and the Linux box is already running (with the samba server
daemon running) I automatically gain access to the shares setup on my BL
box and can map them to drive letters in windows.

If anyone would like, I'll try to write up a descriptive explanation of
how I got everything put together and working properly. If I did that,
should I send it to the list as a message, or should I create a webpage
explanation for others to find? If I sent a message to the list, it may
wind up being fairly long, whereas a web page would have to be found. What
would the members of the list suggest I do to provide the data?

Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org

  • [BL] Samba BL <-> Win98se with null password, Matrix Mole, 04/03/2004