baslinux - Re: [BL] Adding X

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Adding X
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:50:23 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, David Lane wrote:

> Guys,your dealing with a RAW newbie here.After many trials I got BL1.8,I
> think you guys call it BL1,installed on the hardrive of and old PC I've
> dedicated to experimentation.It is a pure linux install,no DOS.I downloaded
> the files to install X and had all but three installed,when,I realized they
> were the ones from 7.1 for BL2.Give it to me straight,how bad did I goof and
> what do I do to fix it?I've downloaded the correct files now but am afraid
> to install them.

XFree for BL1 and BL2 are different versions. I kind of doubt the XFree
packages from BL2 will work on BL1, but that's just a guess. I've never
tried it before, nor have I heard of others trying it. That said, here's
my recommendation for a next step. I believe it's one Steven would agree
with. Why not use BL3? There's alot less pain in getting a GUI going
under it. It's really already set up: all you have to do is answer a few
questions in a menu you get after typing "startx" and you'll be in GUI
mode. It's pretty slick. You will need DOS on your drive to do this.
You'll also need a way to get the 2.1MB file that BL3 comes compressed as
onto that drive, then a way to inflate it (pkzip will do it, as will free
unzipping utils for DOS). It inflates to a 15MB Linux filesystem, with a
working GUI and alot of neat, basic Linux utilities. My .02. Likely
Steven will have something to add as well.

James