baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 12:20:02 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> I think Steven said chroot works in BL.

Yes, it works great. I use it quite a bit.

> To do that, mount your HD BL install somewhere on the
> ramdisk you've booted to - say at /hd. Then, do chroot /hd

First, you need to cd to /hd. Then you need to tell it what
to execute in the new root partition. Like this:
-------------------
chroot /hd /bin/sh
-------------------

> am not real clear on exactly how it works

It simply turns off your old root filesystem and uses the new
root filesystem (that you specify in the chroot command). Same
kernel, new filesystem.

It's easy to see how it works in BL3. The initial ramdisk
(which mounted fs.img as a loop device) is at /initrd. Although
it is very small, it's a functional root filesystem. Just do
the following to use it:
cd /initrd
chroot /initrd /bin/sh
There are very few commands available in that tiny root filesystem.
Do 'ls /bin' to see them.