baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 resizing console fonts after booting

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 resizing console fonts after booting
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:06:54 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Many thanks to the people who explained how to use vga=ask, which was a
> necessary step in this process.
>
> Resizecons resizes all the consoles, including ones you have not used yet.
> I have not tried this on a setup with two monitors. I hope it does not
> damage my TTL monitor trying to resize both monitors. I am sure I could
> never remember to unplug it first (even if I could reach the plug).

This sounds potentially interesting, if a bit confusing. I don't really
understand the role of vga=ask, though, since it seems like
restoretextmode and resizecons are what are actually changing the console
geometry. If you're just going to change to 132x25 later, why should it
matter which vga mode you boot the computer with? Anyway, this sounds the
like the solution to Day's longstanding gripe against Linux for not being
able to dynamically change the console geometry ("without being daggone
root!", as I recall). Are you listening/reading, Day? Is this the sort
of thing you were after, or not?

James