baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 Xvesa without swm uses half the RAM (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 Xvesa without swm uses half the RAM (fwd)
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:39:00 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I guess I don't know how to interpret the numbers, but omitting swm and
MENU does leave more RAM free. You said it was possible to run X in 4M
RAM, presumably with swm/MENU. If so, it should be possible without
sw/MENU in 3M RAM since they take up over 1M RAM. Please explain where my
reasoning went wrong.

I just set loadlin to load BL3 with 4M RAM (mem=4M) and remarked out the
second and third console (with #) in inittab. I can dial ppp and telnet.
Before dialing I had total 2724, used 2476, free 248. After dialing I had
used 2372 and free 352. (How did dialing free up RAM???). I can't check
memory usage while telnetted since I have only one console now.

The kernel appears to be using about 2.1M RAM, since sh = 236 and init=124
used 2476, and total=2724. If I have mem=4M why is total 2724 not 4M?

What is the smallest amount of RAM BL3 can be run in with one vc and not
using X? We have a laptop computer, this one with a good floppy drive,
enough space on the hard drive for BL3, but 2M RAM.

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Without swm/MENU Xvesa will let you run a 528K program in 3M RAM.
> > With swm/MENU you can only run a 252K program in 4M RAM.
>
> Your figures are badly wrong. Have you actually tried
> running an X program with 3mb RAM? Obviously not.

No, I did not know at the time how to set mem=3M.

> > Lynx and links need xli for viewing images, in BL3.
> > They will both run in 4M RAM without swm/MENU but not with them.
>
> Did you actually try running links with xli in 4mb RAM?
> If you had, you would have seen that it's not viable
> (because of massive swapping).

> Please test such things *before* presenting them here
> as facts.

Okay, if you don't mind me asking how to test first.