baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 xvesa on a 386

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 xvesa on a 386
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:36:42 -0500 (EST)

> I do have a swap partition on the HD on this machine (10MB), so 1) is an
> option. Thus far, I have been unable to get into BIOS setup (I've tried
> many key combinations, but I haven't hit the right one or at the exact
> right moment yet), so 2) looks less feasible for now. I know I've been in
> this BIOS before, and with enough trial and error I can get in again.

I have sometimes been able to find the instructions for getting into BIOS
setup by doing an online search for the computer or motherboard, when F1
or DEL does not work. I tend to hit them alternately every 2 seconds.

Jim suggests also F2, ESC, CTRL-ESC, or his favorite 'unplug the floppy
drive', which should put you right into setup next time you turn it on.
He says if you can identify the BIOS you can search on that. A little box
in upper right corner is usually F1.

It is nice that the newer computers use fewer dialects.