baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 xvesa on a 386

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 xvesa on a 386
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 20:11:35 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > I do have a swap partition on the HD on this machine
> > (10MB), so 1) is an option.
>
> OK, boot Linux, turn on swap (use free to check that it
> is working) and then execute Xvesa.

But how do I turn on swap? I'm expecting the swapon /dev/hdx command to
do it, but that command is not in the ramdisk BL3 filesystem (checked
/sbin , where I think it should be). Am I supposed to mount the BL1
partition I have on this machine and copy over /sbin/swapon from it to the
ramdisk I'm running in?

> Again I'm talking about a non-ramdisk boot. If the x-initrd
> filesystem is rawritten to a HD partition, you can point
> loadlin at it (root=/dev/???)

Ok. Understood.

>From 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org Fri Feb 6 20:03:41 2004

> > > ---------
> > > Xvesa -ac
> > > ---------
> >
> > I need a clarification. I'm using startx (as noted in
> > my earlier post) as the command to fire up Xvesa. Here,
> > you say to use Xvesa as the command to start it. So, do
> > both work?
>
> startx is just a script. The normal startx will not work
> with the wee filesystem I sent you (because it calls xinit).
> However, I might have written (I don't remember) a special
> startx that simply calls Xvesa. Is that the startx you are
> talking about?
>
> To see what startx does:
> cat `which startx`

There seems to be no "which" command in this ramdisk version
("which: command not found") either. So, I cd'd to the /sbin directory
and did "cat startx" there (yes, there was a file there called "startx"):
it does, in fact, invoke "Xvesa -ac" toward the end. So it seems like I'm
issuing the right command.

Further pointers?

Thanks, James