baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling with DGJPP and gcc on a laptop

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling with DGJPP and gcc on a laptop
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:33:15 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> how much space BL2 with the five files needed for
? compiling will require (leaving some space to work
> in if that is needed).

As it says at the BL2 site:
Adding a C compiler to BasicLinux
This requires a minimum of five packages (which fill
120mb of HD space). Most of this space is filled by
the glibc2 library, which is much larger than the old
libc5 library (used in BasicLinux 1.8).

In contrast the same packages from Slackware 3.5 (BL1)
total only 15mb. That's an eight-fold difference!
glibc2 is a bloated monster (and getting more bloated
at every revision). I'm quite happy going back to the
relatively tiny libc5.

> The computer is his second-best, with 24M RAM, 300MB
> hard drive, 486DX75.

With only 24mb RAM, he's going to need a swap partition
(say 48mb). Add to that a smallish DOS partion (say 20mb),
base installation (10mb) and the compiling stuff (120mb)
and the HD is already 3/4 full. Keep in mind that the
whole 300mb will not be useable. As soon a you mke2fs,
a chunk of space is reserved for inodes.

Does Jim really have to use glibc2 (libc 6) for his course?
Wouldn't the much smaller libc 5 do?

> I suggested 100M for DOS (30M for DGJPP alone) and 200M
> for linux.

If you want that much for DOS, then glibc2 is a non-starter.
You really do need that swap. Except for the smallest jobs,
compiling is very memory hungry.