baslinux - [BL] compiling with DGJPP and gcc on a laptop

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] compiling with DGJPP and gcc on a laptop
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:51:38 -0500 (EST)

My partner Jim is taking a class in C++ where they expect you to use
Visual C++. He wants to do it in DOS (DGJPP) and linux (gcc/gpp).
He got them all working eventually and asks how much space BL2 with the
five files needed for compiling will require (leaving some space to work
in if that is needed). The computer is his second-best, with 24M RAM,
300MB hard drive, 486DX75. Off-brand color VGA which he can use with
CShow (non-VESA) in 256 colors 640 res and should work with VGA16 if he
also wants to download photos to it with photopc which I compiled for
linux. Xvesa is unlikely to work since it is not VESA at all.

I sort of recall 20M for the basic HD installation and 100M for the
compiler files. Is this correct? And we could delete 1M of locale files.

This computer is small enough to fit in a large backpack so he can take it
to school on his bike (in zero degree F weather leaving around dawn).
They already have Windows at school on lots of computers.

I suggested 100M for DOS (30M for DGJPP alone) and 200M for linux.